Cow horses took center stage in Cowtown as 31 National Reined Cow Horse Association World’s Greatest Horseman contenders showed in the final two preliminary events, the steer-stopping and the cow work, at the Will Rogers Coliseum in Fort Worth, Texas. The herd and rein work phases of the four-event contest were completed earlier in the week.
Only 10 horse-and-rider combinations advance to Saturday’s clean slate finals, where contestants will run at the coveted World’s Greatest Horseman title and the $25,000 championship paycheck.
The 2014 NRCHA World’s Greatest Horseman is presented by Kalpowar Quarter Horses.
Two competitors shared the top spot on the results sheet after the four preliminary events. Todd Bergen, riding Smart Luck (Very Smart Remedy x Gunna Be Lucky x Gunna Smoke), owned by Cable Creek Ranch LLC, and Jake Gorrell, riding Smooth N Cash (Smooth As A Cat x Dox Gavacash x Miss N Cash), hold identical 881 composite scores.
World’s Greatest Horseman Go-Round Winners
Judges Tom Buckingham, Bobby Ingersoll and Smoky Pritchett gave the highest mark in the cow work, a 224, to Russell Dilday and Pepinic Chex (Smart Little Pepinic x Freckles Corrina x Freckles Chex), owned by Scott and Darnell Trueblood.
The 2014 World’s Greatest Horseman finalists:
1. Todd Bergen/Smart Luck – 881
1. Jake Gorrell/Smooth N Cash – 881
3. Brandon Buttars/Halo Cat – 875
4. Bobby Lewis/Dual Spark – 874
5. Boyd Rice/Oh Cay N Short – 871.5
6. Phillip Ralls/Dom Dualuise – 870
7. Jake Telford/Hes Shinettes CD – 869
8. Doug Williamson/Moon Me Pepto – 868.5
8. Mark Luis/BBR Mardi Gras Time – 868.5
10. Clayton Edsall/Skeets Oak Peppy – 867.5